HOUSE BILL 7019
By Davis A
SENATE BILL 7035
By Oliver AN ACT to amend Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 39,
relative to criminal acts of mass violence.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE:
SECTION 1. Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 39, Chapter 13, Part 1, is amended by
adding the following new section:
(a) A person commits an offense who knowingly commits an act of mass violence against another.
(1) Except as provided in subdivision (b)(2), a violation of subsection (a)
is a Class B felony.
(2) If the defendant commits an act of mass violence against the other person due to the person's status as a healthcare provider who provides gender-
affirming care, then the violation of subsection (a) is a hate crime and shall be
punished one (1) classification higher than otherwise provided.
(c) As used in this section:
(1) "Gender-affirming care" means medical treatment that is intended to
support and affirm the patient's gender identity;
(2) "Healthcare provider" means healthcare professionals,
establishments, or facilities licensed, registered, certified, or permitted pursuant to title 63 or title 68 and regulated under the authority of either the department of
health or an agency, board, council, or committee attached to the department of
health; and SB7035
(3) "Mass violence" means any criminal offense that a reasonable person would conclude could lead to the serious bodily injury, as defined in § 39-11-106,
or the death of two (2) or more persons.
SECTION 2. This act takes effect October 1, 2023, the public welfare requiring it.