Assemblyman   PARKER SPACE
District 24 (Morris, Sussex and Warren)
Concerns certain sale and possession of firearms; repeals personalized handgun law.
CURRENT VERSION OF TEXT
An Act concerning firearms and amending, supplementing, and repealing various parts of the statutory law
Be It Enacted by the Senate and General Assembly of the State of New Jersey:
1.       (New section) A person licensed or registered as a manufacturer, wholesale dealer of firearms, retail dealer of firearms, or an agent or employee of a manufacturer, wholesale, or retail dealer of firearms acting in the course of the person   s employment shall be permitted to sell, assign or otherwise transfer any new semi-automatic handgun regardless of whether the handgun is equipped with microstamping technology that imprints an alpha-numeric or geometric code on the cartridge case when the semi-automatic handgun is fired that identifies the make, model, and serial number of the handgun.
2.       (New section) A person shall not be required to obtain a firearm liability insurance policy in order to possess a firearm lawfully in this State.
3.       N.J.S.2C:39-1 is amended to read as follows:
2C:39-1.   Definitions.   The following definitions apply to this chapter and to chapter 58:
a.         "Antique firearm" means any rifle or shotgun and "antique cannon" means a destructive device defined in paragraph (3) of subsection c. of this section, if the rifle, shotgun or destructive device, or replica thereof, as the case may be, is incapable of being fired or discharged, or which does not fire fixed ammunition, regardless of date of manufacture, or was manufactured before 1898 for which cartridge ammunition is not commercially available, and is possessed as a curiosity or ornament or for its historical significance or value.
b.       "Deface" means to remove, deface, cover, alter or destroy the name of the maker, model designation, manufacturer's serial number or any other distinguishing identification mark or number on any firearm.
c.         "Destructive device" means any device, instrument or object designed to explode or produce uncontrolled combustion, including:
(1) any explosive or incendiary bomb, mine or grenade;
(2) any rocket having a propellant charge of more than four ounces or any missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter of an ounce;
(3) any weapon capable of firing a projectile of a caliber greater than 60 caliber, except a shotgun or shotgun ammunition generally recognized as suitable for sporting purposes;
(4) any Molotov cocktail or other device consisting of a breakable container containing flammable liquid and having a wick or similar device capable of being ignited.   The term shall not include any device manufactured for the purpose of illumination, distress signaling, line-throwing, safety or similar purposes; or
(5) any center-fire rifle that is capable of firing a .50 BMG cartridge as defined in subsection mm. of this section.
The provisions of this paragraph shall not apply to any antique firearm as defined in subsection a. of this section or any "curio or relic" as defined in 27 CFR 478.11.
The provisions of this paragraph also shall not apply to a weapon solely used to fire blank ammunition for the purpose of a living historical reenactment as defined in subsection nn. of this section.
d.       "Dispose of" means to give, give away, lease, loan, keep for sale, offer, offer for sale, sell, transfer, or otherwise transfer possession.
e.         "Explosive" means any chemical compound or mixture that is commonly used or is possessed for the purpose of producing an explosion and which contains any oxidizing and combustible materials or other ingredients in such proportions, quantities or packing that an ignition by fire, by friction, by concussion or by detonation of any part of the compound or mixture may cause such a sudden generation of highly heated gases that the resultant gaseous pressures are capable of producing destructive effects on contiguous objects.   The term shall not include small arms ammunition, or explosives in the form prescribed by the official United States Pharmacopoeia.
f.         "Firearm" means any handgun, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, automatic or semi-automatic rifle, or any gun, device or instrument in the nature of a weapon from which may be fired or ejected any solid projectable ball, slug, pellet, missile or bullet, or any gas, vapor or other noxious thing, by means of a cartridge or shell or by the action of an explosive or the igniting of flammable or explosive substances.   It shall also include, without limitation, any firearm which is in the nature of an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas or vapor, air or compressed air, or is ignited by compressed air, and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than three-eighths of an inch in diameter, with sufficient force to injure a person.
g.       "Firearm silencer" means any instrument, attachment, weapon or appliance for causing the firing of any gun, revolver, pistol or other firearm to be silent, or intended to lessen or muffle the noise of the firing of any gun, revolver, pistol or other firearm.
h.       "Gravity knife" means any knife which has a blade which is released from the handle or sheath thereof by the force of gravity or the application of centrifugal force.
i.         "Machine gun" means any firearm, mechanism or instrument not requiring that the trigger be pressed for each shot and having a reservoir, belt or other means of storing and carrying ammunition which can be loaded into the firearm, mechanism or instrument and fired therefrom.   A machine gun also shall include, without limitation, any firearm with a trigger crank attached.
j.         "Manufacturer" means any person who receives or obtains raw materials or parts and processes them into firearms or finished parts of firearms, except a person who exclusively processes grips, stocks and other nonmetal parts of firearms.   The term does not include a person who repairs existing firearms or receives new and used raw materials or parts solely for the repair of existing firearms.
k.       "Handgun" means any pistol, revolver or other