SR 20 2020 First Extraordinary Session Barrow
Establishes a group to study and make recommendations regarding the feasibility of
establishing an optimal funding mechanism for the La. Public Defender Board.
Provides that the study committee is to be comprised of the following:
(1) The governor shall appoint six members, one member from his staff, and one from
each appellate court district.
(2) The chief justice of the La. Supreme Court shall appoint four members, one member
shall be a juvenile justice advocate, one member shall be a retired judge with
criminal law experience, and two members shall be at-large.
(3) The Senate president shall appoint one member.
(4) The president of the La. State Bar Association, or his designee.
(5) The chairman of the La. State Law Institute's Children's Code Committee, or his
(6) The chairman of the Senate Committee on Finance, or his designee.
(7) The chairman of the Senate Committee on Judiciary B, or his designee.
Provides that the Senate president appointee is to chair the study group and at its initial
meeting, the study group shall elect other officers as it shall deem necessary. Further provides
that the first meeting must take place no later than September 15, 2020, and the Senate will
provide staff support.
Provides that the study group is to meet as necessary and is to report its findings to the
legislature not later than April 1, 2021.