ARIZONA HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
First Regular Session
House: LARA DP 6-0-3-0 | APPROP DP 10-4-0-1
HB 2518: appropriation; Glassford Dells regional park
Sponsor: Representative Bliss, LD 1
Appropriates $3,500,000 from the state General Fund (GF) to the Arizona State Parks Board to distribute to Prescott and Prescott Valley for the Glassford Dells Regional Park if these municipalities and Yavapai County obtain matching monies from non-state sources.
Glassford Hill is a natural landmark between the City of Prescott and Town of Prescott Valley that has been the subject of open space preservation efforts since the late 1990s. In 1998, the City of Prescott and Town of Prescott Valley successfully petitioned the State Land Department to reclassify nearly 1,900 acres of state trust land in this area as suitable for conservation purposes. The City of Prescott and Town of Prescott Valley completed a coordination plan for the proposed Glassford Hill Preserve in 2000. Over the following years, the City of Prescott purchased land in the Granite Dells, which borders Glassford Hill.
In May 2022, the City of Prescott, Town of Prescott Valley and Yavapai County entered into a ten-year intergovernmental agreement to coordinate the purchase of about 3,200 acres of state trust lands encompassing Glassford Hill and to design, build and operate a trail system and other recreational facilities on these lands. The estimated appraisal for these state trust lands is about $22,000,000. These municipalities and Yavapai County ultimately plan to combine this purchase with the Granite Dells acquisitions to create a regional park than spans about 4,600 acres.
1.   Appropriates $3,500,000 from the GF to the Arizona State Parks Board in FY 2024. (Sec. 1)
2.   Directs the Arizona State Parks Board to evenly distribute this appropriation to the City of Prescott and the Town of Prescott Valley for the Glassford Dells Regional Park if these municipalities and Yavapai County jointly show that they have at least $3,500,000 in commitments of matching monies from sources other than the State of Arizona. (Sec. 1)
5.   ---------- DOCUMENT FOOTER ---------
6.                                     HB 2518
7.   Initials PAB                     Page 0 House Engrossed
9.   ---------- DOCUMENT FOOTER ---------