ARIZONA HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
First Regular Session
House: MOE DPA/SE 5-4-0-1
HB 2104: contest; state elections; technical correction
S/E: absentee ballot affidavit; declaration
Sponsor: Representative Harris, LD 13
Caucus & COW
Summary of the Strike-Everything Amendment to HB 2104
Requires an absentee ballot to be accompanied by a printed affidavit that contains a declaration that certifies, under penalty of perjury, that the voter meets specified criteria to receive an absentee ballot.
The County Recorder or officer in charge of elections can begin mailing out early ballots 27 days before the election. Early ballots received by the County Recorder or officer in charge of elections by 7:00 pm on election day are delivered to the early election boards for processing (A.R.S.     16-542, 16-551).
Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act
The Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) requires states to allow certain groups of citizens to register and vote an early absentee ballot in elections for federal offices. Individuals covered by UOCAVA include United States citizens who are members of the uniformed services and merchant marine, their family members and United States citizens residing outside of the United States (P.L. 99-410).
1.   Includes, in the printed affidavit that accompanies an absentee ballot, a declaration that the voter:
a)   Expects to be absent from Arizona at the time of the election;
b)   Is physically unable to go to the polls due to being in a nursing home or the hospital;
c)   Is visually impaired; or
d)   Is covered under UOCAVA. (Sec. 1)
2.   Requires an absentee ballot to be delivered to the County Recorder or officer in charge of elections by 7:00 pm three days before the election to be valid and counted. (Sec. 1)
3.   Contains a conforming legislation clause. (Sec. 1)
4.   Makes technical and conforming changes. (Sec. 1)
7.   ---------- DOCUMENT FOOTER ---------
8.                                     HB 2104
9.   Initials JH   Page 0 Caucus & COW
11.   ---------- DOCUMENT FOOTER ---------